Friday, May 27, 2016

links and bias

I have been frustrated that several websites for active and interesting professional organizations simply do not appear in google searches at all. Even when I put in the name of the organization, their acronym, or pretty much their exact website address. Because both organizations are about promoting women, it makes me wonder if there isn't some gender bias in the search engine optimization.

Articles about them show up. Their Facebook page shows up. Just not their main page. The one I'm obviously trying to find, or at least may be interested in. It isn't that I'm insisting that it shows up at the top of the list. I just want it to be on the list.

One thing that is supposed to help is if other websites link to them. So here I will do my part. Because, heck, my little cobweb-covered blog full of dead links shows up in searches.

Iowa Women in Architecture (iawia) http://www.iawomenarch.org/

Equity By Design (EQxD) http://eqxdesign.com

Google, take that!

No comments: